Friday 18 September 2015

Falling In Love With Blogging Again

image from weheartit.com
When I took a break from my blog back in spring, I wasn't sure if I was ever going to come back to it. What was meant to be a weeks break turned into three months due to my health, and I'd got used to having so much free time outside of work to do other things, I wasn't sure how I was going to go back to managing my blog again. But there was always that niggling thought in my mind that I really did miss it, I just wasn't sure how I was going to get back into the swing of things. If you're thinking of taking a break, or just not in the right mindset at the moment, here's how I got my blogging mojo back.


Reconnect with the community
Other than my friend Alison, who I met because of my blog, I totally disconnected myself from the blogging world, and it's a shame as I missed out on so much whilst I was away. Getting involved with the Twitter chats again really built up my confidence again, and talking to like-minded people, sharing our passions really spurred me on to getting my blog up and running again. I wanted to be able to share my ideas with these people again.

Look back through old posts
Taking a look back at what you've created may spark up old feelings you had whilst you were blogging previously. I know that when I finally went back and read through some of my old posts, it made me remember why I loved blogging in the first place, and how happy hitting publish on a new post used to make me feeling, and I wanted that feeling back. Having a look through your archive might also give you some inspiration for new blog posts.

Let the ideas flow
It's always good to go back to your blog with some ideas in mind. You don't want to be starting afresh with nothing to work from, so take a bit of time to write a list of new blog post ideas and perhaps even write a schedule of when you want these posts to go up. When I came back, I had my blog posts planned out for almost a month ahead, so I didn't need to worry about what was going to go up when, I could just focus on writing my posts.

Find a schedule that works for you
Prior to my break, I had written a blog post every single day in 2015. I knew that if I was going to come back there was no way I was going to be able to sustain that, definitely not straight away, so I cut down my posts to four a week. It's so important to manage your time wisely and find that balance between blogging and the other aspects of your life. Creating too much pressure for yourself is only going to make you resent your blog, and, for most of us, it's meant to be a hobby!

Write for you
Perhaps one of the reasons you feel like taking a break from blogging is because you weren't happy with the content you were making. If so, ask yourself, is this because I am writing what I think other people want to read, not what I actually want to write. Your blog is your little space on the internet, and should be about your interests. Write for yourself not other people. If blogging is your hobby rather than a job, then you shouldn't be putting any unnecessary pressure on yourself. If you loved swimming, but you didn't fancy going one day, you wouldn't punish yourself for not going would you?! I've posted several blog posts late (like this one, oops!) and it really doesn't matter! I bet no one even notices!

Do you have any more tips for falling in love with blogging again?


4 comments :

  1. This is a lovely post, I am glad you have found your mojo again! I kind of feel like I don't like my blog at the moment, not happy with the stats because nothing seems to be doing well anymore :( I know it's not the most important thing but it definitely keeps you more motivated to keep at it x :)


    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, it can be really motivating to see lots of views on your blog, but I try not to focus on it, thats when I start to feel too much pressure xx

      Delete
  2. This is such a sweet and inspirational post. I hope you find time to blog again x

    -Wildfire Charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have, I've been blogging again for three months now :) x

      Delete